Weekend + Monday Reading
I fell into one of those wonderful internet rabbit holes this weekend, discovering some incredibly smart, insightful voices talking about this rare cultural moment.
- Spatial Software - John Palmer
One of the more thought-provoking essays on modern software and culture I've read in a long time. Coronavirus is catapulting the culture forward into the need for spatial dynamics in our software.
- Open Transclude for Networked Writing - Toby Shorin
An interesting proposal for a new kind of embed on the web, something of a modern successor to the block quote. I may integrate it on this blog and release it as an open source plugin for ghost blogs.
- He Could Have Seen What Was Coming: Behind Trump’s Failure on the Virus - NYT
In the midst of a moment where the mainstream media has either failed or severely lagged the pace of information online, this is an incredible reminder of where the traditional media can be incredibly effective: investigative, long-form journalism.
- The Cultural Constants of Contagion - Ed Simon
This essay looks at the social and cultural similarities amongst pandemics across time. What's old is new, and new is old.
- Two Hundred Fifty Things an Architect Should Know - Michael Sorkin
- 18 Lessons of Quarantine Urbanism